Are you all Microhoo’ed out yet? Here’s a shortlist of cool, helpful posts from the past week, covering a range of online marketing topics.
Note: In August, we’ll be returning to our regular schedule with more frequent blog posts. Look for that starting next week, with upcoming posts covering PPC, lead generation, testing and analytics, new landing page critiques, and more …
Categories: Internet Marketing News, Internet Marketing Strategy, Marketing Insights blogs, copywriting, design, Ecommerce, Email Marketing, favorites, lists, marketing, search marketing, SEM, SEO, SEOanalytics, social media
Need a shortcut to your weekend marketing reading? Our favorite articles of the week will get you started on your review of online, search and social media marketing. These made it through our feeds and into the idea bin.
Stuck In A Rut? 20 Places to Find Entrepreneurial Inspiration — A roadmap of motivation for when you need a boost. Alyssa Gregory of SitePoint pulls from her list of favorite blogs, success stories and magazines for when your inner entrepreneur needs a shot in the arm.
Top 3 Google Gadgets to SEO Your iGoogle Home Page — Download the tools and gadgets that you’re probably already using to your iGoogle Home Page for quick, easy access. Search Engine Journal points you in the right direction — and I agree with Ann Smarty that the general lack of great iGoogle gadgets is surprising.
33 Ways to Use LinkedIn for Business — LinkedIn is much more than an online resume, and Web Worker Daily shares ways to use LinkedIn more effectively for your business. (The MarketingExperiments LinkedIn group has been growing steadily thanks to tips like these.)
Gmail Offers to Automatically Unsubscribe You from Mailing Lists — Gmail is offering an unsubscribe option for even authenticated mail from reputable senders; Life Hacker has the details.
Beware of Low Bids and Low Budgets When Setting Up Your Google AdWords Account — PPC Hero asks Google about keywords not showing up due to a low keyword bid.
If you’re looking for more PPC advice, join us for our PPC Live Optimization web clinic on July 29. Submit your campaign for review and the chance to win a seat on our Optimization Training Tour.
Categories: Internet Marketing Strategy, Marketing Insights analytics, blogs, Ecommerce, Email Marketing, favorites, lists, marketing, metrics, optimization, search marketing, SEM, SEO, SEOanalytics
After a full week of pushing ahead on new marketing initiatives, mapping out your plans through the end of the year and into 2010, and brainstorming new tests — you got through all that this week, right? — you’re probably ready for some weekend reading.
Here are five highly recommended articles from the past week, covering different areas of online marketing:
Have some favorites of your own? Putting any of the ideas from these articles into practice? Drop a comment.
Categories: Internet Marketing Strategy, Marketing Insights analytics, blogs, Ecommerce, Email Marketing, favorites, lists, marketing, metrics, optimization, search marketing, SEM, SEO
Many of you, frustrated by testing challenges, have vented on this blog and in our optimization group on Linkedin.
Those comments inspired our [July 15] web clinic: Optimization vs. frustration: Overcoming barriers to better tests and gains.
With this clinic, Dr. Flint McGlaughlin and our research team will explore reviewed some of the biggest obstacles to conversion testing and how you can overcome them. To get you thinking, check out these resources related to optimization and testing:
- Designing tests for maximum impact (part 1) … Before implementing a testing cycle, there are three factors you need to be aware of that can make a major difference to your outcomes. Andy Mott, our senior research manager, explained these three factors in this post: Better tests, better results – here’s how.
- Designing tests for maximum impact (part 2) … Ready to dig deeper? Our team of analysts distilled months of experiments and case studies into our year-end research review, and the overarching theme was planning and executing more successful marketing tests.
- Choosing the right pages to test … The Official Google Website Optimizer Blog put together a 60-second video to help you figure out which of your pages most need improvement: Picking a good test page with Google Analytics.
- Learning the math … Great post from Hubspot on the math that will help marketers (especially from the creative side) with various types of tests, including landing pages, PPC and email subject lines: The Math You Need for Marketing Experiments.
- Testing different stages of your marketing funnel … Jimmy Ellis, our director of optimization, uses a test that achieved a 103% conversion gain to lead you through the key steps of testing, from identifying the right elements to optimizing the offer path, before discussing advanced testing strategies with the Omniture team in this joint webinar and optimization guide: Landing Page Optimization: How You Should Be Testing At All Stages of the Marketing Funnel.
What’s holding you back from testing your way to bigger conversion gains?
[Post updated July 31, 2009]